Tuesday 30 August 2016

Spinning Around

It’s a big day today for me today. After four and a bit years, and to my own disbelief, my lad, Harrison, started school this morning. Yeah that’s right, despite my previous inability to keep one of those supermarket basil plants alive for more than three days, my son stepped out of the house this morning suited and booted and ready to begin his journey through the world of assemblies, wedgies and french verb tables.

Of course, August 30 is always a big day. A quick glance at Facebook and Twitter is enough to remind me that today we’re saluting our groovy sweary birthday lady in the Louboutins.

Happy birthday Lisa. Miss you mate.

And there’s a certain poetry in both of those things happening today. One of the things I’m always glad of is that my boy got to break a (metaphorical) leg before Lisa exited stage right. They only got to meet once, but I remember her text from the day he was born, thrilled at our fab four-inspired choice of name.



The circle keeps on spinning. It’s been three and a half years since we said said goodbye to our girl, but it still feels like I’ve just received her thumbs and comment on the boy’s Facebook post. What I said in my goodbye post is still true – Lisa Lynch isn’t going anywhere. Check out the Twitter love.

And after all, today’s a happy day. It’s the day we all get together (on the interwebs at least) and remember our friend. Not the Bullshit™, not the goodbyes, but just Lisa Lynch, our chronically overachieving best mate. And we’ll know that we’ll be doing the same this time next year and for a hell of a lot of August 30’s to come.

Jonze.

SIDE NOTE: We discovered at school this morning that Harrison’s coat peg neighbour is called Lennon. Lisa would have loved that. Whether she would have joined me in lamenting the fact that no one calls their kid Ringo I can’t say.

SaveSave

7 comments:

Karen said...

I feel like I knew Lisa after seeing her movie and reading her blog and her book. I feel so bad that she didn't see Harrison's 1st day of school and she won't see him and his sister grow up. Cancer sucks! How is her family? How is Sgt. Pepper?

gemmak said...

Oh wow, I can't believe he's started school already! A great post, thank you, very uplifting on a week when again I was taken aback for a moment by a big stack of The C Word as I walked into my local Waterstones and by the news that the amazing Sheridan now lives in the same little town as me. Lisa is never far from my thoughts, happy thoughts at the news that Harrison has started school. Lisa would be so chuffed! :)

Unknown said...

I watched the C Word tonight, and although saddened I really loved the courageousness Lisa showed, and the closeness of her husband and family. The support was incredible and she was just beautiful...Lisa is an inspiration to others around the 🌎...

Unknown said...

I read the blog, watched the tv show and finally read the book. After all of that i have decided to start a blog, from the inspiration of the one and only Lisa Lynch. My blog is only starting out but hopefully, it will be just as funny as lisa's. true inspiration and would owe everything to her if just one person commented on it. Her birthday is one day before mine i will be thinkig of her truly then as i turn 18. Doesn't matter how old your or how intellectually you are if know what the bullshit is or youv'e heard about it, then this will truly change th way you think about yourself and others around and not just with the bullshit but with everything else. I hope this truly changes your pespective on life. Thank you so much for that. I owe this to the legend hersef. Her legacy will reign on and so does this blog. if you get that chance to read this, it will make my day but if you don't heres my blog. : http://courtneyteenblogger.blogspot.co.uk/
I think we all know lisa in way, thank you for that.

Unknown said...

Wow Jonze - over three years - feels like yesterday. good luck to Harrison! x

Unknown said...

3 and a half years? Hard to believe. She is still my inspiration. Good luck to Harrison. xx

Karl Webster said...

Thinking of Lisa today. No particular reason. Life's just like that. We never met but we spoke a bit online. Love to everyone. XXX