Saturday 13 September 2008

A matter of taste: an update.

Don't worry, this isn't an update on my turd-status (although I'm back on track, thanks very much – probably thanks to Mum who, when some family friends came over last night, put out a big bowl of crisps for her guests and, beside it, a small bowl of prunes for me). Nor is it an update on my tastebuds (also getting there, cheers – P’s spicy soup was delicious, and probably more fiery than I could taste, judging by his red-faced, sweaty reaction after eating it). ­No, this is a far more trivial update: it's been bothering me for days that I didn't answer the questions at the beginning of Wednesday's post. So, just for the record:

1) In alphabetical order: A Day In The Life by The Beatles, Beautiful Child by Rufus Wainwright, For Once In My Life by Stevie Wonder, Lucky by Radiohead, Pride And Joy by Marvin Gaye. (If I were allowed a sixth, which I know I'm not, it would be (Love Is Like A) Heatwave by Martha Reeves & The Vandellas. I only mention this because it concerns me that all five of my top songs are by men, and I wouldn’t want you to think that I’m averse to a female vocal.)

2) Derby County (incidentally where I should be right now, but I'm completely whacked and I fear that being witness to their shitness may put me back a few steps in my recovery).

3) Paul.

That’s a relief, I’ll sleep better tonight. Or will I? Maybe now I’ll start fretting that you’ll judge me on my answers, conclude that I’m a stupid-questionnaire-obsessed, male-vocal-biased, football-challenged, McCartney-loving fool, then stop reading the blog in disgust. Actually, if anything, you should take pity on me for the football thing. More for that than the cancer stuff, even.

3 comments:

Lisa Lynch said...

Bloody hell, we won! Well that'll teach me to slag off my team.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to write and thank you for being so honest about what you're going through. My boyfriend's Mum's got terminal cancer (pancreatic). She's so weak now we're counting every day we have left with her. Over the last six months she has been so private about the pain and suffering she's gone through, after the chemo sessions, the radiotherapy and everything else. I am SO grateful to you for making me realise how brave she - and you - are. You have opened my eyes to what she has protected us from as much as she can. THANK YOU - I NEEDED TO KNOW THE TRUTH.

Your blog has made me respect her all the more, and to you I urge - keep up the fight. You are a witty, feisty, beautiful woman and a brilliant writer. I pray you'll beat The Bullshit and have the rest of your life to look forward to. You more than deserve it.

Anonymous said...

Paul???! Come on. Just a reminder - frog chorus....
Ringo on the other hand has Thomas the Tank Engine to recommend him.